Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ms. Virginia

The kids in my third grade classroom call me Ms. Virginia.

Their teacher (the woman I am helping...so my teacher too) happens to have a student visiting on exchange from Spain.
her daughter visited there for a couple weeks and now a student is staying at their place in return.
guess what her name is?
Virginia.

But in Spanish, that is pronounced Vir - Hin- ia.

apparently she had been practicing her pronunciation of this girl's name.
because for weeks before the girl arrived, sometimes she would slip and call me Virhinia as well.
then she would correct herself and go to explain why she just said my name like that.

well now, her student is here visiting.
and instead of correcting herself when she calls me Virhinia,
which she does all the time,
she doesn't even realize it anymore.

that is.... until the kids recognize!

and BOY do the kids notice.
they then proceed to yell "it's Ms. VIRGINIAAAAAAAAA."

there is a point to all this...

this happened again today.
maybe more than once even.
but at one point i got a good laugh.

why?

because one little girl asks me "What's your real name?"

and so i say, "Virginia."

"Virginia," she asks? "But why do we call you Ms. Virginia then? What's your last name?"
"D'Olimpio" i say. "D'Olimpia? I'm gonna call you Ms. D'Olimpia."
and so i correct her "D'Olimpiooooo. ther's an O at the end, not an A"

and then another girl besides her says "Virginia? I didn't know that!"

and then another girl says "I'm gonna call you Ms. D"

and i proceed to tell them that the reason they call me Ms. Virginia is because my last name is so hard/long/tricky so it'd be easier to say Ms. Virginia

I just got a kick out of the fact that it never dawned on them that my real name is VIRGINIA. what else would it be?!

did they really think that my last name was Virginia? how funny/cute!
but how horrible it would be if i had another female name, with Virginia as my last name.
it doesn't work as well as my friend's name Rachel Kelly.
It seems to work for her! but Virginia is not Kelly.

this is the 3rd grade by the way! not kindergarten! and they are smart chickies too.
so that's why i was so surprised they never realized my actual name IS Virginia.

love,
Ms. Virginia


No comments:

Post a Comment